Pages

19 May 2009

Ruane child in three days of school

The education minister has admitted her 12-year-old daughter missed three days of school when she was taken on a government trip to Cyprus. Caitriona Ruane confirmed a report in the Irish News which said the trip fell outside holidays in the Republic, where her daughter attends school. The NI Department of Education says parents should not remove their children from school during term time. Ms Ruane said it was gutter journalism and a "dreadful attack" on her family. She said she paid for her daughter to go with her and private matters should not be brought into "political battles". "I will make decisions in relation to my family," she said. "I'm a mother and I'm a minister." Ms Ruane said she was in Cyprus on official business, speaking about the peace process and education in Ireland "and the lessons that Cyprus can learn". In a later statement she added: "My decision was dictated by private and personal matters and in the best interest of my daughter.
"I am happy that my decision was both responsible and correct."

For further details visit at : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8056974.stm

No comments: