Pages

09 April 2009

Debunked NBA world’s stereotype - 'Iron man'

AC Green, the 6’9" basketball legend was in the city on Wednesday to conduct a coaching clinic as part of the ‘NBA Cares’ initiative.Green is testimony to every variation of the ‘nice guy’ moniker given to him by fans and players alike. And, whilst anecdotes jostle to be told, the one where he abstained from sex till his wedding would pip the record he set playing 1,192 games on the trot."A lot many times I’m quizzed about how I managed to abstain (from sex) depite being in the NBA. It’s a strange stereotype about how being in the NBA means fast cars and faster women. Try being a family guy while being on the circuit and what the world gets is an oxymoron.
"But I’m a man first and an athlete later. Stereotypes do not identify who you really are. Honestly, I’d have the same scruples had I been teaching in a school, doing business or having a job at the radio station," Green told TOI.
Bounce to his outrageous record trot of 1,192 games and Green words it perfectly. "That number is stupid madness! While you take each game, your adrenaline levels are too high for you to realise how far you have gone. I never had a stat book with me. My model was simple: If I can breathe I can play. It was a nightmare for my trainers and I’d haggle with them to let me play," recalls Green.The record saw the NBA confer Green with the ‘All-time Iron Man’ tag.Having legends like Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O’Neil and Charles Barkley for teammates holds special memories for Green.
"Charles Barkley is the funniest guy on the globe... It’s also nice to see Kobe (Bryant) evolve into a class act now," he says.Being elected to the Hall of Fame and is something that Green considers a high point. This is Green’s first visit to the city and it’s left him thrilled.
"I saw something in Mumbai that you don’t come across too often in America. Families moving around together. It’s beautiful."

Source : sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Iron-man-who-debunked-NBA-worlds-stereotype/articleshow/4377185.cms

No comments: