Pages

19 March 2010

Saina Breaks into Top-five

A day after she celebrated her 20th birthday Saina Nehwal zoomed into the top-5 in the world badminton rankings on Thursday. The first Indian woman to do so, Saina is now targeting to break into the top-3 within one year. The world No. 5 said that she didn't expect to reach this far so soon. However, the superb performance at the All England championships last week ensured the sudden elevation. I thought I would reach the sixth rank this week. It was a pleasant surprise. For the last one year or so it was my goal to reach the top-5 and I am thrilled. I think the semifinal finish at the All England made this possible," said Saina. The Hyderabadi said that she would be targeting top-3 ranking now. "I think a top-3 finish is a real possibility now. I hope to do that within a year. But my main target would be to win as many important titles as possible. I came close to winning one in Birmingham last week," said Saina, who lost to eventual champion Tine Rasmussen in the semifinals of the All England championshi ps on Saturday.

for further: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/badminton/I-am-thrilled-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/5700093.cms

No comments: