Pages

14 June 2009

Minority students are in danger : technologically rich but cognitively poor

I am a Chicano (Latino, if you wish) and a mathematician, a product of the Los Angeles Unified School District. Fifty years ago, I was in eleventh grade at Narbonne High School in Lomita, California, widely perceived at the time as one of LAUSD's lowest performing high schools. The principal had announced there would be a mathematics test given to the entire school and the student with the highest score would be given a medal at a school- wide assembly. I was not motivated strongly by school, more into cars than books, but I knew I was good in math. I wanted to do well on that test, win the medal, and receive the acknowledgement I knew I deserved but had never received. I did earn the highest score on the test, but rather than being awarded my medal in front of my peers as promised, the principal did not schedule the assembly and instead gave me the prize in his office. I was hugely disappointed and angry at what felt like a judgment that I was unfit to be honored by the school. So angry, in fact, that today, fifty years later, it still bothers me. This was certainly not the first time I had an experience like this, nor would it be the last. I always felt that I was smart and from first grade to twelfth grade was among the best in the school in math. But, with the exception of my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Bentwood, none of my teachers or counselors acknowledged me, complimented me, or encouraged me. No teacher or counselor said that I was smart or told me that I should (or could) go to college. .. si se puede.

For further details visit at : www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132825

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a Chicana from Texas. I attended public schools in Laredo, Texas. I too knew from early in my schooling years that I was smart even though my grades did not show that and many of my teachers did not know it. My high school counselor advice to me was to enroll in a shorthand course and become a secretary while at the same time encouraging my friend to apply for college scholarships. However, I wanted to get a college degree and become a teacher and so I didn't listen to her advice. I struggled through college (now I know that I was ill-prepared in high school for the rigor of higher education)but I succeeded. I eventually got a masters degree and two years ago I received a doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction and Mathematics education from Texas A&M University, College Station. I oftentimes wonder how much more I could have accomplished (and with less of a struggle) if teachers had noticed what I had within me...a desire to succeed and the smarts to do it. I am presently teaching future teachers and I encourage them to get to know their students and provide them with support and encouragement but most of all to know that students are smarter than you think or they let you believe.