Pages

21 August 2009

Chef educator won the year award

The chef educator of the year award recognizes teachers with the "knowledge, skills and expertise" to give culinary students the education they'll need for their careers. Nominees compete in regional events, which leads up to the final national competition at the federation's conference. Each finalist must present a lecture and demonstration for a panel of judges. "(Competition) was stiff," Bucci said. "All the chefs were well-known in the industry, and I was worried about the master chef. But I guess that made me work harder and practice more."Bucci gave a lecture and presentation on how to create a balance of five flavors on a plate. His meal, which he made in just 50 minutes, was a fennel and orange risotto with brazed escarole and garlic and salted capers. He also made a fennel-dusted mahi mahi with a sweet-and-sour red pepper sauce. "In like the first month when I was practicing, I treated it more like a competition instead of being myself and who I am in the classroom. I had practice session with other chefs and my students, and they were able to critique. One of the chefs said, 'you don't look like yourself,' " he said. "With hot-food competitions, I can just put my head down and cook. But this I had to teach and be somewhat entertaining, not like Food Network entertaining, but entertaining." After students and other chefs warned him he was coming off as "stiff" Bucci began to incorporate his Italian heritage into his food and also began having more fun. Although his mother and grandmother weren't trained chefs, Bucci leaned on his Italian upbringing and his love of food for inspiration. "Honestly, I didn't think I was going to get picked at the regionals. This was so unlike any competition I've done. I had to cook, I had to talk, I had to teach a lesson," he said. "I know we do that everyday, but it's not timed and no one's judging you."

For further details visit as : http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1703396,080609TopChef.article.

No comments: